I am a qualified counsellor with a Diploma in Integrative Counselling from the Minster Centre, London, and a BACP registered Coaching member.
I graduated in 1999 with a BSc Honours in Exercise and Health Science from Oxford Brookes University. I developed an interest in psychology and physical performance, where I learned about the relationship between the mind and body, and how they are fundamentally linked. It was through my studies and training in martial arts around the same time, that I began learning about buddhist philosophy and mindfulness meditation.
I learned that we have far greater power than we realise; in terms of changing our lives, regardless of our past; healing ourselves and creating our future. I’ve been inspired ever since to help people improve their quality of life. I firmly believe that with sufficient guidance we all have the potential to live deeply fulfilling and meaningful lives.
Experience and interests
Alongside anxiety and work-related stress, I have experience of working with codependency, and in particular have a developing interest in issues around attachment and low self-worth. Before centering my practice on supporting adults with work-related stress and anxiety, I spent several years working in charitable organisations that provide low-cost counselling services. I’m experienced working with adults of all ages with issues including anxiety, depression, panic attacks, anger management, attachment and relationship issues, loss and bereavement, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, OCD, eating disorders, low self-esteem, confidence issues, domestic abuse and work-related-stress and anxiety.
In parallel to my private practice, I work mentoring university students (undergraduate and postgraduate level) with learning difficulties, including Asperger Syndrome, at the University of Bristol, focussing on mitigating study and research related stress and anxiety.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
As a registered BACP member, I am committed to Continuing Professional Development. Recent CPD I have undertaken includes the following short courses, workshops and conferences:
- Bristol Insight Meditation – Day Retreat. Radical dharma: a radical practice with Lama Rod Owens (28th April 2018)
- Living and working as a therapist in a world of online communication (28th January 2018)
- Constellations Identity Therapy IOPT (26th January 2018)
- Coaching with specific client groups, identifying your niche and marketing your offer effectively. (22nd January 2018)
- Working with Traumatic Memories using Eye Movement Integration (EMI) (15th January 2018)
- Private Practice conference 2017 – Identity: ‘Can you tell me who I am?’ (September 2017)
- Getting started in Private Practice (February 2017)
- UK and European Symposium on Working with Addictive Disorders (April 2016)
- Relational Depth and Emotional connection in Online Therapy (March 2016)
I engage in regular individual and group supervision in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.